Monday, November 28, 2011

Confessions of a Wedding Planner - Meeting My Mentor





When I finally took a chance on making my dream of a being a wedding planner become a reality I started watching all the wedding shows I could and scoured the internet to learn all I could from other wedding planners. Upon this search I found a wonderful wedding planner who I can proudly say is my mentor.

Mary Dann-McNamee is a much sought after wedding planner from Southern California. She has been a wedding planner for over 20 years and heads up Mary Dann Wedding and Party Coordinators. Mary inspires me to be the best that I can be and at the same time find balance in my life. Because of Mary I have learned to appreciate all my blessings in other words have gratitude.

Mary is a real inspiration to me and when I found out that she was going to be a speaker at a conference that I was attending I was thrilled. When the opportunity to have a career counseling session with her was available a very good friend of mine and a fellow wedding planner emailed Mary and told her what a fan I was and how Mary was my mentor and that I had to have the opportunity to have a session. I was so happy when an appointment was made for me.  I felt so honored to have that opportunity with her.

When the appointment was approaching I was so excited because it is not everyday that you get to meet your mentor. Let alone having a one on one session with them. When I met Mary it was like I had come full circle. For some this is a hard business to get into and there have been times when I had wanted to throw in the towel. Meeting Mary gave me the opportunity to learn from an outstanding peer and a wonderful, beautiful person. I instantly put those times of throwing in the towel way behind me.

Mary gave me some very good advice and showed me that I can do this dream that I so wanted to do and be successful at. I think that every one needs a mentor in life someone that you can look up to, admire, respect and most of all learn from. For me it is Mary Dann and I can only hope that one day I can be like her and be the success I would like to be.

My best advice to new wedding planners is to not give up so easily and that sometimes we have to be patient and wait for the things we want, yes we need to go for what we want but you also need to realize that not all things happen when you think they should.

Remain patient and learn all you can and you will be rewarded with good things.

Also finding a mentor, someone you can look up to is a good thing. The advice that they can give you is priceless and if you use and apply that advice you are sure to succeed. Don’t be afraid to reach out to the person that you consider your mentor I bet that they would be more than willing to help you. All you have to do is ask.

Mary, thank you for being my inspiration and mentor! Thank you for showing me the road that I need to take to further my wedding business and most importantly my passion for this industry. Without your guidance and kind words there is no doubt in my mind that I would have thrown in the towel and given up on my dreams.

For further information on Mary and her staff please go to her website at www.marydann.com

Until next time happy reading.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment